You’ve been looking forward to a spring vacation from the ice and cold for months and the time has finally come to pack. Here in Palm Beach County you’ll need a swim suit, sunglasses, sandals, and broad spectrum sunblock. Protecting your skin from the sun’s UVA/UVB rays is important while sunbathing in the “Sunshine State”.
Palm Beach County is home to exclusive areas like Jupiter Island and Palm Beach. The beaches and real estate in this area is second to none. Palm Beach County also has charming seaside towns of Jupiter, Juno Beach, Delray and Boca Raton, which are also prized for their incredible homes and condos on the beach, Intracoastal Waterway and Loxahatchee River. The abundance of sparkling blue waterways, beaches, as well as the real estate in Palm Beach County, is nothing short of beautiful.
As the weather warms and families spend more time outdoors in the glistening sunshine, The Florida Society of Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery wants to remind Floridians and visitors about the importance of sun protection. Keep in mind:
- The best combination for protecting your head is sunscreen, sunglasses and a hat. Often- neglected areas are the ears, back of the neck, lips and scalp at the part in the hair.
- Look for sun protection that provides "broad spectrum" protection, minimum SPF 30, blocking both UVA and UVB rays.
- Look for sunglasses that are described as blocking 99% or 100% of UVA and UVB, or as providing UV absorption up to 400 nm.
- Teach your children good habits for sun protection. Eighty percent of a person's lifetime sun exposure is acquired before age 18. When selecting a sunscreen for infants, look for the ingredients zinc and/or titanium dioxide.
- Be sure to reapply every two to three hours during times of prolonged exposure. The sun is the strongest between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
Delight in the beautiful sunshine and beaches Palm Beach County has to offer safely. When you are trying to achieve the perfect tan, it is imperative to use a suntan lotion. The best type to use is a lotion with SPF. If you use a suntan lotion with SPF, your tan will last longer. A gradual tan lasts much longer than if you tan all at once.