As you probably already know, Leap Year occurs every four years, but did you know that every year divisible by 4 is a leap year? Here are some other fun facts:
- Not only does Leap Year occur in every year that is divisible by four, it only occurs in century years that are evenly divided by 400.
- 4 million people in the world are leap day babies. These babies are called leapers or leaplings and there is a one in 1,461 chance of being a leap day baby.
- Astrologers believe that people born on February 29th have unusual talents
- There will be 8 years between leap years 2096 and 2104
- Women often choose this day to propose marriage to men. If the man refuses the proposal, he would be fined a kiss, a silk dress or twelve pairs of gloves.
- Getting married in a leap year is considered bad luck in Greece
- February 29th is also known as Rare Disease Day
- Frogs are associated with leap years
- There is an official Leap Day cocktail:
1 dash lemon juice
1/6 Grand Marnier
1/6 sweet vermouth
Shake, garnish with a lemon peel and serve!