The Friends of Jupiter Beach organization “is a grassroots, volunteer-driven not-for-profit group dedicated to keeping a special section of Jupiter Beach clean & dog-friendly in northern Palm Beach County.” since 2006, the Friends of Jupiter Beach and all of their volunteers have cleaned up over 49,000 lbs. of trash off of our beaches! If you aren’t a part of this organization, join their team and make a difference!
The Friends of Jupiter Beach began in 1994 when the beloved dog beach in Jupiter was under threat of being closed. A small group of passionate, Jupiter locals banned together to change this eminent fate. The group started scheduling beach cleanups and started placing dog waste bags at the beach crossovers. Since then, the group has grown exponentially, as individuals and businesses rally together to care for their marine environment and the standup for our furry friends and their rights to go to the beach. The group has been incredibly successful at keeping one of the last dog beaches around alive.
The Friends of Jupiter Beach (FJB) began with one passionate and driven lady, Anita Lankler. Mrs. Lankler was the first to inspire thousands of locals to protect our beaches and preserve our precious environment. She worked tirelessly to establish the mission and foundation for FJB. FJB and Mrs. Lankler made a promise to the Town of Jupiter, “we’ll clean the beach and more in exchange for leaving the historically dog-friendly beach intact.“ Today, there are 12, beach cleanups a year on the first Saturday of each month and a ton of other smaller events throughout the year. Volunteers and sponsors for these events come from all over the nation.
FJB’s Notable Statics:
- 2 – monthly beach cleanups drawing an average of 200 volunteer per month
- 29 – dog bag boxes along a 2 1/2 mile stretch of beach, refilled continuously
- 490 - the average number of pounds of garbage removed the beach at each monthly cleanup
- 5000 – Friends, members and sponsors
- 300,000 – sanitary dog bags dispensed for FREE usage by beach visitor
- #1 – GOAL, to remind all beach visitors to do all in their power to help us keep this beach clean and dog-friendly for decades to come
For more information about Friends of Jupiter Beach, please visit: http://friendsofjupiterbeach.org.