While the star of Thanksgiving is almost always the turkey, the debate over the best Thanksgiving side dish rages on. Each of us has our favorites, and each state in the USA has its most popular. It's a delightful testament to our diverse culinary traditions. So let's get into it, what's the best Thanksgiving side? What's the most popular?
1. Mashed Potatoes
- Reigning supreme in many states, mashed potatoes are a creamy and comforting classic. They're a blank canvas for gravy and a perfect complement to turkey.
2. Green Bean Casserole
- A crowd-pleaser known for its crispy onions, green bean casserole is a staple in numerous households. It adds a crunchy, savory element to the meal.
- Whether inside the turkey or baked separately, stuffing is a blend of flavors and textures. It's a nostalgic favorite that varies from state to state.
4. Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet, buttery, and often topped with marshmallows, this dish has a unique sweetness that balances the savory components of the meal.
5. Cranberry Sauce
- A tangy and refreshing option, cranberry sauce provides a burst of color and flavor to your plate.
So many current residents of Palm Beach County moved here from their home states in pursuit of our sunshine, clear waters, low taxes, and outstanding lifestyle. Here are some of the most popular side dishes in some common home states:
- Florida: Sweet Potato Casserole
- New York: Roasted Potatoes
- Texas: Green bean Casserole
- California: Stuffing
- Georgia: Broccoli Casserole
- New Jersey: Cornbread
The Regional Influence
Why do these regional favorites exist? It's a blend of tradition, climate, and local ingredients. Southern states often favor sweet and savory dishes, while northern regions lean towards classics like mashed potatoes. Coastal states may emphasize seafood sides, while the Midwest celebrates stuffing variations.
Ultimately, the best Thanksgiving side dish is subjective and deeply personal. It depends on your family's traditions and your taste buds. So, this Thanksgiving, savor the diversity of side dishes, and let's all try to remember that it's the gathering and gratitude that truly make the meal special.