The Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse sits on top of a midden shell mound on the northern side of the Jupiter Inlet. The location in Jupiter was chosen in 1853 when Congress authorized the construction. The Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse is located between the Cape Canaveral Lighthouse to the north and the Hillsboro Inlet Lighthouse to the south.
The Jupiter Lighthouse project was assigned and designed to George Gordon Meade, a young Army Lieutenant. The Lighthouse was one of six Florida lighthouses assigned to Meade before being completed under the supervision of Lieutenant William Raynolds. Raynolds improved the final design by increasing the height of the lighthouse tower to 105 feet and doubled the masonry wall for protection.
The Lighthouse tower was completed in May of 1860 and the light was lit two months later in July. The light can be seen for 24 nautical miles at sea. During the years, more than 70 different lighthouse keepers served for some period of time at the Jupiter Inlet. In the late 1930s, the lighthouse merged with the Coast Guard and remains an active aid to navigation with one of 13 active 1st Order Fresnel Lenses in the entire United States.