The James and Alice Butler House is located at 380 East Hillsboro Boulevard in Deerfield Beach (just minutes from Delray Beach). On July 28, 1995, the House was added to the United States National Register of Historic Places. This Mediterranean Revival-style building was the home of Deerfield Beach pioneers and civic leaders, James D., and Alice Butler. The Butlers married in 1906 in Texas and came to Deerfield Beach in 1910 on a visit and stayed to become two of Deerfield Beach’s most popular and public-spirited citizens.
The plans for the historically designated house were obtained from a popular lady’s magazine, the Ladies Home Journal of September 1923. The house was built by Gulfstream Lumber Company of Delray at a cost of $10,000. The home was built and is situated on almost four city lots. The house is built of hollow tile, the interior walls are plaster on the plank and the roof is made from Spanish terra cotta tiles. The property features a one-hundred-year-old Banyan tree where the Deerfield Beach Historical Society holds events.
When Broward County was formed in 1915, Mr. Butler was a member of the first school board. For eight years he served on the Broward County Board of County Commissioners and for four years on the Deerfield Beach City Commission. He died in 1965. Mrs. Butler helped found the Deerfield Beach Woman’s Club and they both assisted in the establishment of the First Baptist Church of Deerfield. She died in 1974.
The House and grounds were bequeathed to the Deerfield Beach Historical Society in 1977. Additional tour dates are listed below:
- Saturday, June 11, 2022, 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Saturday, June 18, 2022, 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Saturday, June 25, 2022, 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Saturday, July 02, 2022, 10:00 am - 2:00 pm