1. Home
  2. Blog
  3. GREAT LOXAHATCHEE RIVER RACE in HOBE SOUND

GREAT LOXAHATCHEE RIVER RACE in HOBE SOUND

Posted by Nicole Richards on Tuesday, May 12th, 2015 at 10:51am.

 


The 13th Annual Great Loxahatchee River Race is Saturday, May 16, 2015 which will be hosted by Waste Water Management, Inc. and Florida Paddling Trails Association. This event is at the premier destination of Jonathan Dickinson State Park in Hobe Sound, Florida with many competitive paddlers coming to join the fun-filled event from around the state as well as families relaxing and willing to spend a beautiful day on the waters.

That is what the Great Loxahatchee River Race has turned into – a family day on the water with a few racers around for good measure. “I like the people who are getting out for the first time, maybe with their spouse, and getting to go up the river and enjoy the scenery. You don’t hear any cars or motor boats. A lot of them bring their children to ride with them. They put their life vests on to just enjoy the paddle. It’s a good introduction to the river. ‘Race’ is sort of misnomer,” said Steve Prior, creator of the River race. “About 20 percent of the people who come are here for the race. The other 80 percent are mostly people who come for the fun of being on the river.”

Most paddlers will be in canoes and/ or kayaks, but this year the event is supposing to have a huge jump in the numbers of stand up paddle boarders.
That is why there are three different trails to pursue; there is 1 mile recreational paddle from the beach area at the park to Kitching Creek and back. For the more exploratory and audacious paddlers, there is the medium course of the 6 – mile loop that goes upriver toward Trapper Nelson’s and back to the beach. Finally, there is the 12- miler loop that will appeal to the pros and those craving to travel for a few hours. The trail goes upriver towards Trapper Nelson’s to the gargantuan banyan tree at the end of the river and back to the beach.
Regardless of what trail is your choice, all participants are invited back to the beach after the race for a complimentary lunch!

What to bring:
Drinks of your choice (no alcohol on the park)
Sunscreen
Sun Protective Wear & Hat

Registration opens at 8:00 a.m. and races start at 10:00 a.m.
To register visit: Great Loxahatchee River Race or call 561-718-3890.

Jonathan Dickinson State Park
16450 S.E. Federal Hwy
Hobe Sound FL 33455

   

Leave a Comment