Every year, on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, people in Southeast Florida, the United States, as well as internationally, take the time to kick off the holiday season by giving back to their community. Whether it is donating money to a charitable cause or volunteering, Giving Tuesday is a day set to benefit the community.
Giving Tuesday is a global generosity movement unleashing the ability of individuals and organizations to change their communities and the world. So, what is Giving Tuesday? Giving Tuesday was created in 2012 as a remarkably simple idea. The idea was of a day that encourages people to do good for others and their community.
Giving Tuesday is now an independent nonprofit and a global movement that inspires hundreds of millions of people to give, collaborate, and celebrate generosity.
“Giving Tuesday offers some ideas you may possibly consider:
- Share kindness with your neighbors.
- Volunteer virtually or share your talents
- Give your voice to a cause that matters to you
- Show gratitude to healthcare workers, service providers, and other essential workers who are making sure we still have the services we rely on, even at risk to their own health.
- Discover a local fundraiser, community drive, or coordinated event to join others in your area or with your same interests in giving back — they need your help.
- Give to your favorite cause or a fundraiser to help those in need.
- Talk about giving and generosity using the hashtag #GivingTuesday.”