GRAND OPENING THIS WEEKEND! The Manatee Lagoon- An FPL Eco-Discovery Center
Clear your calendars this weekend for the grand opening of the NEW MANATEE LAGOON!
Opening this weekend in Riviera Beach, Florida is an amazing new feature of south Florida, the Manatee Lagoon- An FPL Discovery Center. The new Manatee Lagoon building and café overlooks the warm waters of Palm Beach where with manatees like to stay during the cold winter months. The warm water comes from Florida Power and Light Company’s Next Generation Clean Energy Center. During the cooler months, this clean energy initiative produces warm water run-off that is the perfect temperature for the manatees. The new center will attract hundreds of manatees each year!
This new facility spans 16,000 square feet and features engaging, hands-on exhibits and educational displays. Free to the public, the Manatee Lagoon offers a two-level educational center and display decks, a gift shop, and café and picnic areas.
The Manatee Lagoon will be open from Tuesday through Sunday from 9am to 4pm and the park will be open from 9am to 5pm. For more information about the Manatee Lagoon please call 561-626-2833 or visit www.visitmanateelagoon.com.
MANATEE FUN FACTS:
• The Florida manatee is the largest manatee in the world.
• Adult manatees can grow up to 3,500 pounds and over 12 feet in length.
• Most manatees reach about 1,200 pounds in their adulthood.
• Manatees are almost exclusively vegetarian, feeding on sea grass in both salt and fresh water environments.
• Manatees can hold their breath for up to 20 minutes.
• Manatees only drink fresh water. They can go up to two weeks in salt water without fresh water but must return to fresh water to drink.
• The Florida manatee’s population has steadily grown, with an estimated 5,000 manatees in Florida. Even with their numbers growing, the manatees are still considered endangered.