Research conducted by the National Summer Learning Association states that if children take a lengthy break from learning they will not only miss out on learning new information but also can lose up to three months of math and reading skills from the previous months.
Here are some ways to keep kids engaged and learning all day long.
- Learn to Play Chess: Chess helps you focus, think ahead and work through situations. For those who do not know how to play Chess, there are plenty of online tutorials and lessons for you to learn, chesskid.com is a free online website and app that can help you learn.
- Let the kids make dinner: By allowing kids to make dinner allows them to make healthy lifestyle choices and learn what is good for you to eat.
- Read a book: Reading a book helps your brain focus and remain active. Reading also helps you learn to comprehend and remember.
- Put a puzzle together: Puzzles help with geometry and help to introduce new shapes and sizes to kids.
- Plant a garden: Planting a garden is a hands on activity that helps kids create their own space and research what plants will survive in the Florida sunshine.
For online education tools, check out some of these websites.
- Common Sense Media
- How Stuff Works
- Math Playground
- National Geographic Kids
- NASA Kids Club
- Scholastic Kids
- Smithsonian Kids